Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Letter To My Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop,


     Yesterday morning, with family by your side, your journey here with us ended.  I am, actually, we all are extremely sad to not have you here with us anymore, but we have some peace knowing that you are no longer in pain.  


     It's been a long five months, watching you struggle and fight your body, just to make it to your "Funny Face's" big surprise birthday party.  But, you did it.  And just like you always have, you made her feel more loved than she could have ever imagined.  

     Although it has only been a day, I can't explain how much I miss you.  It hurts, a lot.  You have been such an important person in my life and have taught me more valuable lessons than I can count.  I am so grateful to have had such a strong relationship with you, one that can never be replaced. 


     I want you to know that we are all surrounding Mam-Mom and each other with that exact love that we have learned from you.  And though it may be hard for us to believe, we will make it through this, together, for you.  We will laugh through the tears, and hold each other tightly as you begin the next part of your journey.  


     I am so happy that Gwen was able to be a part of your life, that she got to kiss you goodnight so many times during your last month here.  That she knows her Pop-Pop and told you many times that she loved you.  And I will tell her just how much her Pop-Pop loved her.


    Thank you so much for all of the wonderful memories that you have given to me and our family.  I'll share with Gwen all of the fun times that we have had... how you taught me to swim, how I stole your "prize" peach off of your tree, about our many drives in your little red car and all of the other countless special moments we've had.  


     I have be to honest, Pop, I don't want to let you go.  I want you here.  I don't want to say goodbye... so I won't.  I'll say until we meet again.  I know that I don't have worry, that you will be watching over us, especially your beautiful bride.  I know that I will talk to you many times during the course of my life, and that you will send signs our way.  And each time it will sure make me smile...




I love you, Pop, Rest In Peace.

Love Always,
Samantha

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Samantha I am so sorry about your loss...but happy that he is in a better place and no longer in pain or struggling. I'm so glad Gwen got to spend such quality time with him!

Angie said...

My heart breaks for you sweetheart. Sending my love and prayers your way. Take care of your Mam Mam. I know from experience with mine how hard it is for them to let go.

brit said...

I am SO sorry Samantha! My papa died almost 2 years ago, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced in my life. Reading your letter to him made me cry. You're in my thoughts!! Know that it will get easier as time passes, and be thankful for the memories you have of him and Gwen.

the workaholic momma said...

oohhh...samantha...i am SO SO SO sorry for you and your family's loss. I am sending prayers and lots of hugs your way. My heart breaks for you guys but know that you have a very special angel up there watching over you. Hugs, friend!