Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Penne Vodka : Tasty Tuesday

Linking up with Candice today at The New Modern Momma.

For the big birthday celebration last weekend, I was asked to bring a Penne Vodka dish.  And the recipe that was suggested to me was Rachael Ray's "You Won't Be Single For Long Vodka Cream Pasta"  Now, let me preference this by saying that making my own sauces {Red, Vodka, Alfredo} intimidates me.  I don't know why, I mean I venture out to try tons of crazy recipes, but it just seems like a lot to me.

So, I sort of saw this as a challenge.  I would have felt awful saying no, and I knew that having this reason to make it was reason enough.

And to be honest, it was SO easy!! 
Not too many ingredients.  Didn't take too long.  And turned out pretty well.  At least I think :)

Ingredients:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil {not pictured}
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced
1 cup vodka
1 cup chicken stock
1 can crushed tomatoes {32 ounces}
Coarse salt and pepper {not pictured}
16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate {I used regular penne}
1/2 cup heavy cream
20 fresh basil leaves {shredded or torn}








Directions via Food Network
Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup. Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.

While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it). While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.

Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.
*****

I actually ended up making two batches.  One to take with us, and one for dinner Thursday night.  I added red pepper flakes and chicken for a full meal.  It was delicious!  
Don't forget to follow me over on Bloglovin'
Follow on Bloglovin


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really realize what you are speaking about!
Bookmarked. Please also consult with my website =).
We could have a link alternate contract between us

Have a look at my web page - White Kidney Bean Diet